Russia U18 goaltender Daniil Isaev: "I want to win the Ivan Hlinka memorial tournament"
Russia U18 goaltender Daniil Isaev:
- When noticing in a magazine what equipment goalkeepers have to wear, I immediately wanted to become a netminder.
- So you didn't to be a goaltender because they skate less?
- No, I didn't even think about that. When going to my first ice rink, my parents didn't even tell me where we were travelling. I was given equipment, I trained on the ice and I was told that I am a good player. At first, I was a defenseman, but I became a goaltender after a couple of months.
- Did your father play the sport at all?
- He wanted to become an ice hockey player, but he didn't have the opportunity.
- Is he happy with your success?
- Yes, all of my family are happy for me. However, they criticise me more often than not
- When there is chaos on your goal crease, how do you keep calm?
- You have to keep focused on the task at hand. Even when I concede a goal, you can't let it bother you.
- Is your home very neat?
- In the dressing room I keep my kit neat, but I am tired by the time I get home and don't really bother.
- Do you have a good sense of humour?
- No, not at all.
- Anecdotes in the dressing room?
- I never tell any. I prefer to listen and laugh along with the others.
- What's your favourite film?
- "Levsha," it's a boxing film. A boxer fell down but managed to get back up and win.
- Outside of ice hockey, what do you like to do?
- Play football. When I have free time, I always like to get out on the pitch. People even mistake me for a footballer.
- Are you a football goalkeeper too?
- No, I'm a forward. I score goals practically all of the time.
- Have you ever scored an ice hockey goal?
- I've scored a couple of own goals. When I was young, a turned a slap shot from the red line into my own net. A couple of seasons ago against Spartak, I tried to stick away a pass across the slot but got it all wrong.
- The Ivan Hlinka memorial tournament is approaching.
- I want to win! We can't be afraid of anything. The main thing is to follow the coaches' game plan, they know what to do.
Russian Ice Hockey Federation