The under 16 national team have returned to Russia
On the morning of the 23rd of February, the under 16 Russian national team arrived in Moscow after flying back from the 2016 Youth Olympic Games in Norway. At the tournament, our players took the bronze.
Alexander Khovanov, Russia U16 captain:
- Bronze is a good result, but we wanted to win the gold medals. We played poorly in the semi-final, and the third place play-off match was tough.
- Did the bronze make up for the semi-final disappoitment?
- Of course. It wouldn't have been right to fly home without a medal. Our fans supported us, as well as our family and friends. They helped us get it together for the bronze medal match.
- Did the Americans deserve to become champions?
- The USA have a good, disciplined team. In the semi-final we had some chances which we should have taken advantage of. Unfortunately, the opponents were more lucky.
- What can you say about the competition's organisation?
- I enjoyed the opening ceremony, it was the first time that I took part in such an event. We all liked it. The first match with Canada went brilliantly.
- Are there some words which you would like to say to the fans?
- On behalf of the team, I would like to thank you for your support. First of all, this is your victory.
Russian Ice Hockey Federation